Many of us have heard the hoax “Guest Blogging is dead” so many times. While this concept was prophesized back in the year 2014 by Matt Cutt, Former Head of Web Spam at Google, the fact remains far from today’s reality.
Guest blogging is amongst the most important go-to tools in digital marketing and has numerous benefits to complement your SEO endeavors. Using Guest blogging for high-quality link-building makes it a powerful tool for improving brand awareness, boosting your SEO endeavors, discovering new and useful contacts, and for streamlining the sales cycles.
According to the Business Blogging Secrets Revealed report by Curata, 56% of externally sourced blog posts are from guest authors.
There is no reason to be discouraged from guest blogging even as many of the companies add no-follow links and remove all the links from the guest posts.
The removal of links is one of the greatest problems that the guest bloggers face, particularly the ones doing it for high-quality link-building. Nonetheless, despite the removal of links or the addition of no-follow links, using guest blogging for high-quality link-building is very much a twirling art.
If the guest bloggers start from analyzing and researching the market carefully, discover new and promising opportunities, execute perfect pitching to their desired guest blogging websites and write the guest posts from the intent of helping out the target audience, guest blogging can be used for high-quality link-building quite effectively.
Using guest blogging for link-building helps you get the marketers to reap following major benefits:
- It helps the marketers get the targeted traffic and an improved proportion of the referral traffic in many cases
- Guest blogging can be used as an effective tactic for capturing leads
- Using guest blogging for high-quality link-building fetches marketers quality backlinks from authority domains
- Leveraging guest blogging for high-quality link building fuels your branding endeavors as content marketers can get recognition for themselves, as well as their businesses
- Marketers have social proof of flaunting their expertise as subject-matter specialists
How to Prevent Your Guest Blogging Practices to be Classified as Spammy
While using SEO for building high-quality link-building, content marketers must ensure that their content is of high-quality. The links from low-quality content leading to spammy SEO-optimized affiliate sites is a highly detrimental SEO practice that should be avoided at all costs.
Apart from the above practice, Google has highlighted several other detrimental guest-blogging practices that do more harm than good to your overall brand reputation:
- Stuffing your articles with too many irrelevant links that are rich in keywords
- Using amateurish opinions from writers who don’t have enough knowledge about what they are writing
- Using similar content in the guest blog as is the tone of your business blog
Thus, the marketers using guest blogging for building high-quality links should remember that link-building efforts will automatically come to fruition as a result of high-quality content being created and the should not be just on blogging for links. The content needs to abide by the principles of E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness).
The backlinks accomplished as a result of guest blogging should be a repercussion of the value you provide with your pieces of content and not the sole reason for creating the pieces of content.
Therefore, the content marketers planning to use guest-blogging for building high-quality links can deduce the following conclusions:
- Refrain from mass guest blogging for getting backlinks
- Share your personal insights experiences amassed from running marketing campaigns
- Under no circumstances should you outsource the process of your content creation to amateurish writers and should never stuff their guest posts with anchor links rich in keywords
Guest Blogging for High-Quality Link-Building: Converted Mysteries Revealed
Guest blogging gives content marketers a chance to write for well-renowned blog posts having a large fan following. Writing authoritative and high-quality guest blogs give marketers a chance to get noticed by people following the well-known blogs.
Some of them might actually come to your blog as well, giving you an opportunity to be seen by a larger and arguably more educated audience base who have never seen your work before.
Matt Cutts, Web Spam Expert at Google describes the importance of guest blogging in the following words:
“While there’s always a grain of salt involved with Google gospel, it does seem to follow along with what we knew (or suspected) about authorship: quality and trust signals are increasingly surrounding content and the individuals who write them.”
The core mission of Google is to provide values to the users’ search queries and as long as your guest-blogging is capable of assessing several pain-points of the customers and prospects, there’s no reason that it wouldn’t bring innumerable benefits including the high-quality website links.
Successful guest blogging for high-quality link-building is a systematically orchestrated approach from starting till the end and if you are a content marketer looking forward to getting published on high domain authority websites, the following steps will help:
1. It All Starts with Researching Where to Pitch
When it comes to pitching for getting published you need to be very selective. There are several high domain authority websites offering guest-blogging opportunities, which doesn’t mean you pitch to all of them.
Select one authoritative website that is most suitable for the type of content, you wish to create.
Usually, choosing a niche-specific and high domain authority website is a good idea to get published.
However, approaching reputable media platforms for publishing sponsored content on which media editors, too can work is equally good an idea to experiment with. Getting published with a media house gives your content impeccable and instant popularity and exposure to highly-educated audience groups to witness your brands’ success stories and provide you with some constructive feedback.
Once you have decided on your target website to pitch for getting published, you need to introspect the performance of the website and align it with your own to deduce whether your guest blogging objectives can be fulfilled through the website.
A high domain authority website (usually a domain authority above 50 is considered to be good); with the enriched social following, a connection with industry experts and influencers and possessing a well-engaged audience base for a while, can be considered to be ideal for guest blogging and for building high-quality links in the process.
In addition to authenticating the website’s performance, the authors also need to ensure that they get a featured bio with your byline, a headshot, and a link back to your website for audiences to follow.
2. Prepare a Pitch that Can’t be Overlooked
When thinking about pitching your favorite website marketers should think of creating a pitch that editors cannot ignore.
It’s like you are selling why they should publish the content you write and what is in it you that makes you so different from other people and their work.
Consider putting your best feet forward when trying to pitch to your favorite website’s editor.
Following the following steps may help:
- Start demonstrating work ethics and skillsets and if the publishing guidelines allow sending the links and descriptions of some of the best blogs published on other guest blogging websites or on your own website
- Do extensive research to figure out the style, of their blog, the tone of writing and the substance provided and think if there’s some missing value or added information that you can provide through your blogs
- Make the tone of your guest blogging highly personal, sounding generic is not an option and it can get you ignored. Ensure that you address the pitch directly at the editor-in-chief or any other well-known face working for the enterprise
- Put in a bit of extra effort to deduce who else is guest blogging for your favorite websites, what designations they hold, and what niche their parental websites fall under. Acting like a detective keeps you better prepared to bank upon your guest blogging opportunities for link-building
- You should be direct in talking to the editor-in-chief or owner of the website. No fluff talk, just show them the value you got to add to their websites. This will fulfill your objective of use guest-blogging for high-quality link-building and save some precious time for both of you
- The guidelines for pitching shouldn’t be ignored and should be closely followed. Oftentimes, the best-written pitches are written succinctly, are concise enough, advocating of the value they will provide
Violating the guidelines may get your pitch deleted without even getting noticed
- When pitching to the editors or owners of your favorite websites, let them know about the credentials of your website. It’s a great idea to let the blog editors and owners know who they will be working with, pretty well in advance
3 Brainstorm the Blogging Ideas
Coming up with the original guest blogging ideas is an essential step to using guest blogging for high-quality link-building. Additionally, the idea should also be in synchronization with the ideas already being propagated on your favorite blog that you wish to write for.
The brainstorming sessions must be driven by the concrete belief that at the end of the day the blogs that you wish to write for, also need more audience.
You can use tools such as Buzzsumo to figure out the characteristics of the most shared pieces of content.
The following aspects should be kept into mind while crafting the pieces of content for the guest blogging websites:
- Introspect whether the most shared articles are listicles, how-to guides, step-by-step tutorials, or solitary pieces expressing opinions on a topic
- What are the primary topic/topics that the most shared articles deal with
- What is the tone of language for the most shared pieces of content and what kind of words compose their headlines
- Introspect whether emotional headlines have an upper hand over the logical ones or otherwise
- Align the topic-level complexity in your pieces of content with the knowledge and expertise level of the blog’s target audience. Don’t talk to the target audience groups in a tone that is too simple or too complex for them to relate with.
Check the content on the website to see the tone in which they talk to their audiences, whether there are too many advanced level pieces of stuff or just a very generic approach to addressing the target audiences.
- While trying to use guest-blogging for high-quality link-building, marketers should keep SEO in mind.
The selection of the primary keyword to be included in the title, meta-description, and body of the article is very important. A precise keyword density will improve the web discoverability of your guest blogs.
4 Write Guest Blogs to Drift Audience on Your Website
When it comes to using guest blogging for high-quality link-building, writing pieces of content to talk to the pain-points of the customers is a strategy that always works.
People read your blogs mostly for information that will help them resolve their pain-points or for some inspiration to draw them out of their mundane lives.
So, while writing a guest blog you should have it clear in your mind as to what are the pain points of your audiences that you wish to address and speak with.
The following factors can keep audiences glued to your guest blogs and can drift them on to your websites once they see the value:
- Captivate readers with your headlines. The headlines should be molded in a way that compels the readers to continue with your post, promises a definite value, and reflects professionalism.
Your headlines should inspire confidence and promise definite value; for example include phrases such as “The Ultimate Guide to…,” “Top 10 Ways to…,” “7 Essentials of…,” etc.
Also, using power words in your headlines such as perfection, polish, sheen, etc. draws more audiences.
- Your content is a reflection of who you are and hence while using guest blogging for high-quality link-building you should dive deeper into the topics that you are writing about. Present well-researched pieces of content to reflect on your subject-matter-expertise and authority.
- As a business expert, your writing should prioritize the knowledge of your readers, their expectations, and their education levels. Your writing language should be firm and inspiring, supported with statistical insights and a data-driven approach to storytelling.
- Employ social listening and other forms of research to deduce the most frequently asked questions that spring around in the minds of your target audiences, related to the topic that you have chosen to write about.
- Always add links to the surface that you’re referencing for readers to dig in
- Adopt an intriguing writing style to keep your audiences interested
- Weave your content strategy towards the core purpose of your blog, whether it is to help your readers understand a new concept, inform them about a new product or inspire them, keep your goals at the forefront
- Tell your people the value they will get out of your blog post and clearly narrate what benefits they will get out of it
- Proofread your blog post extensively and remove all the ideas that don’t make any sense
- Craft your content to be easily snackable and readable
- Divide your blogs into multiple sections and sub-sections to keep the readers engaged and interested
- Use visuals to make your blog lively and explain the concepts in an uncomplicated manner
- Remember to break your blog into several paragraphs and provide the users with the much needed white spaces to keep them intrigued to read further
5 Create Quality and Contextual Content
Whenthinking of using guest blogging for high-quality link-building, creating high-quality and contextual content is a strategy that the marketers just cannot overlook.
The content should abide by the principles of E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness) and should effectively address the specific concerns of audiences at specific stages of buying cycles, whom the content has been written to the target.
The following factors are indicators of high-quality content that would be preferred by the search engines to rank higher on the SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages):
- The Content Should be Readable:
This means taking the excess fluff out of your content; furthermore, content texturing is also important.
Keeping the paragraphs limited to 2-3 sentences at most, using plenty of headings and subheadings, and breaking down the information into bullet points and block quotes are highly beneficial in improving the readability of your blogs.
- Use Custom Images & Embed Videos in Your Blog
Images and videos make your post easy to understand. They help in breaking the information into snackable sections.
Having high-quality images and contextual videos embedded in your blog automatically elevates the perceived value of your blog posts.
Also, having contextually high visual appeal means that your content you never be differentiated as anything near to those spammy SEO content pieces.
- Incorporate Contextual Backlinks in your Posts
For the content marketers planning to use guest-blogging for high-quality link-building, the process of brainstorming ideas for the same starts with thinking how to align the guest blog with the content already present on their websites.
Among many other things, this idea helps in incorporating contextual links to your website in your guest blog.
Most guest authors incorporate a link to their website in their profile bio. However, for optimizing the SEO component, getting links within the body of the guest blog itself is of high importance.
Having a link within your content acts as an editorial link that gives you a lot of SEO benefits.
Try to employ a keyword-rich anchor text for backlinking and adding contextual links to the page being targeted in your blog. The guest blogger should assure that the backlink incorporated provides value to the readers or else it stands a high chance of getting omitted by the editor.
6 Funneling Your Guest Blogs to Generate Conversions
When it comes to using guest blogging for high-quality link-building, very few people will think of aligning defined conversion goals with their guest blogging endeavors.
Often, getting published is the only priority.
However, having one or two definite conversion goals aligned with your guest blogs isn’t such a bad idea. To start with marketers can use guest blogs to generate ample amount to traffic and elevate the proportions of referral traffic that they get from certain webpages.
Better still guest blogging can be used to re-direct the traffic on the specific pages of your parent website.
Content marketers should think of the outcome they wish to accomplish the most through the link in their author’s bio and accordingly should direct the link on a desired page of choice on their websites.
Keeping your core marketing purposes in mind, you can redirect your audiences to sign-up for your email newsletters, visit your online inventory, your product/services page, or simply to follow your blog.
Think of the page that would most closely resonate with your guest-blogging conversion goals and includes a link to that page in your author’s bio.
7 Getting Published
Once you hand over your final content draft to the editor, it might take a while before you can hear from them. The article may require subsequent rounds of editing post submission until it finally gets published.
Some large blogs have a waiting list of 1-3 months.
Post your guest blog goes live, invest time into building relationships with the authorities and editors of your guest blogging websites so that in future you can the benefits of collaboration, and discover new opportunities.
8 Engage with the Comments on your Guest Blog
Once your guest blog has been published, you need to engage with your audiences who leave a comment on your post.
If some questions have been asked in the comments, answer them, and express your gratitude to the readers who comment on your guest blog stating that they find it useful.
By proactively engaging with the audiences who comment on your guest blogs, you will improve their experiences which will keep you noticed. Also, as you are always on the minds of your readers you can optimize the conversion goals associated with your guest blogging endeavors and can effectively use guest-blogging for high-quality link-building.
Wrapping Things Up
Guest blogging for high-quality link-building isn’t easy. This is the prime reason why it can give you some competitive edge over your competitors who just might have insignificant resources and patience to get published on the top-ranking blogs.
Guest blogging when applied as a part of or orchestrated and strategized marketing approach can help you in accomplishing some high-quality link-building.
However, guest blogging solely from the purpose of getting backlinks will only result in disappointments.
Focus on getting published with authoritative websites. Guest blogging for high-quality link-building is all about publishing in small volumes but publishing strategically to websites with good domain authority and mass fan following. Guest blogging when done right and on authoritative websites, gives a significant boost to your traffic and rankings.
Quality over quantity is the rule to go with when it comes to guest blogging. Guest blogging helps you in indirect link-building.
The brands get a chance to flaunt their subject-matter-expertise and authoritativeness. Catching up the eyes of readers of prestigious blogs helps in building brand awareness and increases the overall traffic influx and the number of leads on your website.
Valasys Media assists B2B marketers with an array of services including lead generation, lead nurturing, account-based marketing, list building services, contact building services, content syndication services, event promotion, appointment setting, business intelligence, and CRM services to help them accomplish their conversion goals. We love to hear from audiences and experts about what they think about blogs.
We provide guest blogging opportunity which gives you a chance to get published with us and flaunt your subject-matter-expertise. So, if you think you have it what it takes to guest blog for us, drop us your pitch line in our write for us section and if your idea excites us, we will definitely get back to you.
Follow Us on LinkedIn:
Follow Us on Facebook:
Subscriber Us on Youtube:
Contact us for any help to optimize your marketing and conversion goals & develop frameworks for efficient sales pipeline management.